Friday, June 5, 2009

Home is where the heart is






And introducing.....my dear old doggie aka the love sponge.....as in all I ever want from life are pats and lots of them...like ALL the time.
I've been feeling a bit down lately about having to sell our house, wondering if we are doing the right thing, and then yesterday I was rudely reminded of the reasons for wanting to leave. The suburb I live in is close to Johannesburg's second largest university, and even closer to the city's largest university. Over the past two years, more and more students have begun moving into the area as unscrupulous landlords buy up houses and turn them into overcrowded student communes. We became mildly concerned but hoped that it wouldn't affect property values and neighbourhood standards too badly, and for a while everything seemed to be okay. That is until students moved in next door and across the road. And with students comes student noise. It is such fun to be woken up at 4.00am by car doors slamming, stereos blaring and loud drunken voices. That was from the people across the road, and it happened once a week, or once every two weeks, sort of bearable. Then students moved in next door, and the fun really began.

They seem to live by the following rules:
1. Don't hold a conversation unless you can talk at the top of your voice. Make sure you do this outside so the neighbours can be sure to hear you.
2. Always play the radio at full blast.
3. Have wild parties, but make sure you do so outside in the road so your friends can blast their car stereos. Make sure you leave lots of empty beer bottles, broken glass and food wrappers on the pavement - and for god's sake whatever happens, DON'T clean up the mess.
4. If you are female, make sure you giggle loudly, shriek and scream as soon as the smallest opportunity for doing so presents itself.

When they are outside on their front porch, it sounds like they are sitting right with me inside my study/art room. One guy in particular has this incredibly loud, deep booming voice with a laugh that would put your average chainsaw or angle grinder to shame. Now, they can go for two weeks and you won't hear a peep out of them, that's when you start getting sucked into a false sense of thinking that maybe things aren't so bad after all, and maybe you're being a bit drastic by deciding to move. And then they. come. back. to make your life a misery. And for three days it's wall to wall noise.

Yesterday they started up around mid day and only stopped after my husband asked them to keep it down at 6.30pm. Of course that won't stop them from starting up again as soon as they feel like it. When they start making noise I feel like my sanity, my home, my privacy, my sanctuary from the mad world out there is being invaded and destroyed. My heart rate literally goes up. I get stressed out and become anxious and agitated. I feel so angry at their selfish lack of consideration. I burn with anger and resentment. I start planning nasty schemes in my mind to get back at them....like finding out when they write exams and blasting the loudest, nastiest heavy metal music I can find at the most inconvenient times of the day. I don't like how they make feel and how they make me want to behave.

So, in a way I'm glad they made noise yesterday again after being quite for almost two weeks. It reminded me that we are DEFINITELY doing the right thing by selling up and moving. It sucks but that's the way it is. It'll be a complete mission but that's what happens when you move. Home is where my husband and my pets are. And we'll make a lovely new home somewhere else. I have to say though, it is sooooo damn tempting to exact some revenge on them before we leave, but hopefully I won't stoop to that level!

2 comments:

  1. Whatever you do, don't let your would-be buyers read this post.

    OMG, your love sponge is so sweet. And, I love the lobster.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been through problems like this as well. It is very discouraging and when you start loosing sleep, you begin to feel frantic and like you are going insane.

    It is too bad that it has come to this, but I hope you'll be able to find peace and happiness elsewhere SOON!

    Erin :)

    ReplyDelete